Southern Heritage Since 1834
The Selwood Story
James Mallory moved his family from Virginia to Alpine and settled Selwood in 1834. He prospered as an innovative farmer, community leader and godly husband and father until his death in 1877. The property remained in the Mallory family until 1948 when it was purchased by Dell’s father.
The late O.V. Hill was County Agent in Talladega County into the 1960’s. During his life a variety of agricultural crops were raised at Selwood including cattle, sheep, poultry and turkeys. Mr. Hill settled on cattle and turkeys as the main farm commodities.
Dell and Carolyn met at Auburn and were married soon after graduating. Dell was a chemical engineer and Carolyn a home economist. After Mr. Hill’s death Dell and Carolyn returned to Talladega, Dell’s hometown, and continued the cattle operation and the smoked turkey mail-order business which they operated and expanded for over thirty-five years.
After the cattle business became non-profitable the farm was transformed into recreational use. In 1984 Selwood Hunting Preserve was developed and the state’s first sporting clays course was designed and opened at Selwood in 1990.
Selwood, which means “the king’s hunting forest” has been selected by Alabama Tourism as a sport to do in Alabama Sports, was District winner for the Alabama Farm of Distinction 2006, and was named 2012 Small Business of the Year by National Federation of Independent Businesses. Thousands of people come through Selwood Farm each year to quail hunt or for clay shooting or a corporate event in the Country House. Dell and Carolyn’s favorite guests are their children Alan and Mary Lyn Jenkins and their spouses and their children.